Friday, December 2, 2011

What WAS on the Frame


How many of you heard about our winds hear in Southern California? Yesterday, I taught in a class with no lights, all. day. long. I arrived at school at 7:15 a.m., and my lights weren't on (my friend Sherri who opens the daycare usually turns them on for me), and it stayed that way! We do have a wall of windows, and the sun was out so it wasn't as dark as it could have been. My kids were great, we continued on as if it were "normal" (HaH! Does such a thing really exist?) day. Eight out of 23 students said they did not have electricity at home either. You would think that some of them would miss school, but not my kids, lol! There were more than usual late, with traffic lights out and debris on the roads. (Since I live so far from school, my morning at home wasn't affected as severely.)

From the classroom perspective, the worst of it was no background instrumental music that really helps the day to flow, and, there is no windows in our classroom bathrooms. It just meant being a bit creative, as the flashlight batteries were not working either :-}

At 2:30 or so, we were told we wouldn't have school today -boo-hoo- I had 2 boys literally get up and start dancing! I can remember as a child having snow days, but I do not think I've ever missed as a teacher for any reason like weather. I feel like it's a gift day for sewing!



 This is Ginny's beautiful hydrangea quilt for her oldest granddaughter Ashley.  It was quilted last Saturday, I'm hoping to put the binding on this weekend. The quilt was a kit, we tackled it together. Ginny wanted it to not finish square like the pattern called for, so she found some more fabric from the same line and we added length in the white butterfly print. This was the last quilt to be finished in her goal of a quilt for each grandchild. 

 

Her next one is an I Spy, and she has started this one all by herself! I can't wait to share those, since we both are making one.

This was a square for a special someone, just wanted to share it. It was a neat block and I liked the way the prints worked together. It's in the mail, finding its way to a secret quilt gift.

Happy first year to our kids! Time flies ~


The last share is one of the Love quilts for Jesse's girls. We asked for some of Jesse's shirts to make quilts for his 2 daughters and for his wife. It's still a goal to complete them before Christmas. Larry and Jerry helped to cut the shirts apart during a couple evenings in front of the tv, and I was trying to come up with a plan that would fit a special little girl.

 



This one is for his youngest daughter, who just turned 7. She liked Daddy's blue shirts because they are so soft. I put a gold one with them, and a couple of white shirts and fabric to extend the quilt to a good snuggle size.


The finish will have a couple of pockets from Daddy's shirts. Daddy's heart was right there under those pockets once, and it's a place she can put her hand to remember that his heart is still with her here.

Again, I am really thankful to have the day to sew! Hope you get to enjoy this day, too ~


"Oh the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments, and His ways past finding out!" Romans 11:33

10 comments:

  1. A day off for quilting is a great thing. The winds were horrendous, but we, too, escaped any damage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank you did a fabulous job on the quilt you are binding. Its good you have a day for sewing but sad for the reason...I had no idea this was happening where you live. Hope all is well with you and your. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Third time is the charm?? I have lost my response twice now! Human error. =)

    I did hear about the winds. I'll bet it was fun for the kids to do school without any lights. It was an adventure!

    A year already? Wow! That time did fly by quickly!

    I love the black and pink block...Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm so glad you did not have any damage to your home. School without power...wow you guys are tough.....not happening here in NY, as a matter of fact most of the schools were closed a week after our Oct. snow storm and power outages
    up here.

    What a great way to spend your "storm day"....lovely work Pokey :0).

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had not heard about the winds. Wow! Almost sounds like Kansas. Too cute about the boys dancing. I feel like that a little myself when work gets canceled. Congrats to your kids on their first anniversary! The Love Quilts sure do touch a tender spot in the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes! We did hear about those horrible winds.

    What a wonderful bunch of projects you have going there! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A quilting day is a great day! How sweet to put those pockets on the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ginny is becoming quite the quilter! So fun to have a best friend who also quilts. Happy Anniversary to your kids. We watched on TV all the horrible winds in California. What an experience to try to teach school with no electricity. Loved the story about the dancing boys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh, a day for quilting! Nice! I love the hydrangea quilt--so nice!

    And has it been a year already? Wow.

    Got the weekend off and my list is far more than I will accomplish, but I intend to make a huge dent in some good craftiness!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another beautiful quilt and also the paper doll quilt! I love the greens, blues, and whites and the design is very neat, just love everything about this quilt.

    The Daddy quilt is such a sweet idea! Your brought tears to my eyes with the pocket being near the heart. Now how sweet is that?!

    Happy belated Anniversary to your baby girl!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for taking time to peek in! If you say hi, I do my best to send back the love :-}pokey