Sunday, March 11, 2012

Lighthouse, Bubbles and Tidepools





My second graders had a lesson in the sea creatures of the Pacific Ocean. On Tuesday, we climbed aboard the school bus for the 90 minute ride (one way!) to Pointe San Vicente Lighthouse.

 
 Watch their faces! It's so fun to see their excitement!

 My friend, retired teacher and mentor June Styffe, met us at the Lighthouse with some huge bubble wands, as only 5 can go up into the lighthouse at one time.

 

 Our 30 minutes there were filled with climbing,




 




making bubbles, and visiting the little mariner's museum filled with lighthouse memorabilia.






 Here's my effort to get a group picture, they are so wound up in the fun day!


We ate lunch at the Interpretive Center, where there are whale watchers keeping track of any whales in the area. There had been 4 whales spotted that morning. 
We only saw dolphins, boats and seaweed!

Next up was the Cabrillo Museum and touch tank. The students had a "Sea Hunt" paper that helped them stay focused on the task. Then, we went into the touch tank area. 






Again, I so enjoy watching their faces light up at their experience there!

















The last part of our trip was a hike over to the real ocean tidepools. Here, the children see the animals in their natural environment, and it is surprising the difference that appears.
Jezreel's mom was pointing out a sea anemone. (age marker- I was Jezzy's dad's Kindergarten teacher...oh, my...)

My son in law Jeff made the trip with us. I enjoyed his enthusiasm, lol!
We went all over the area. We scheduled the trip with the low tides ~








Boy, this was fun, Mrs. Davis!
~and this is the only thing that was sewn this week~


Have a great week !



"Fear God, and give glory to Him... and worship Him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea...." Revelation 14:7

23 comments:

  1. If I could turn back time, I would have wanted you for my teacher, Mrs. Davis!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! Looks like a great time was had by all. What a fun age to be seeing all of that stuff. Great job, Teach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the coolest field trips. What a neat place. I e-mailed the info to my son. Would make for a fun thing to do on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice trip! You picesed the best fabric to match in this block. A whole quilt like that would be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful day you all had - I think the big "kids" had as much fun as the little kids. I am sure you are a favorite teacher!! Enjoyed your post - and the quilt block is great! Sometimes not a lot of sewing gets done but there are things that make up for that. Hugs, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post...it made me miss teaching! :-)Thank you for sharing the smiles on the kids faces (your son-in-law included!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. 45 mins (each way) on an activity bus with lots of kids on a field trip.... great love hath no woman... *lol*

    Glad you all had a great time!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hats off to Mrs. Davis for organising such a fun trip. Look at the wonder on those kids faces!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad everyone had a great time.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a fun day. Great idea to have the bubble fun to keep them occupied while waiting. All good teacher traits!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this is such a great way to learn, I love tidal pools.
    they'll remember this trip forever and how great Mrs. Davis is!

    How do you have the energy for all those kids?

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like such a fun day! I enjoyed seeing the kids' faces light up, too, in your photos.

    You got one more thing done than I did all week, and good looking block too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what fun! You are an awesome teacher, Mrs. Davis!! I would even love a trip like this!! That is a long ways to go on a bus though, I bet there were quite a few sleeping on the way home, lol. You can see on their faces that they really enjoyed their time there... all the kids, even SIL Jeff, haha!

    Have a delightful week sister~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute quilt block! What a fun day for them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the colors in your new little "patchwork block".

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love their excited faces! What a fun day for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun day! I loved all the pictures of the kids. Such a fun group--what a fun teacher to have. I always liked going on field trips with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How great to be able to go up into the lighthouse. I am truly jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great field trip! Kids love the interactive exhibits--they learn when they see AND touch. I wish I had been on the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This makes me miss my West Coast! What a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh My Goodness! What a super fun day! I miss going on the field trips. I never would have thought to bring bubbles though. How cool are those!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like everyone had a great time on the fieldtrip.

    ReplyDelete
  23. WHat an awesome field trip! We never had anything like that when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for taking time to peek in! If you say hi, I do my best to send back the love :-}pokey